Hello and welcome to http://bodybuildingformass.com and Best Back Workout Exercises.
In this article we will have a look at the best exercises for building not only a wide back, for that much sought after V- taper, we are also going to look at developing thickness and strength.
Don’t worry – I won’t leave you hanging on just the exercises – we’re then going to arrange those best back workout exercises into a ‘Huge Back Workout’.
Let’s get into it…
Hyper-extensions are a great exercise and can be utilised to serve a variety of purposes. Here, we shall use them primarily as a warm-up exercise.
Don’t go too extreme on the range of motion and keep a controlled tempo.
Even though we are using this as a warm-up, I still want you to feel it working the muscles. So if you can exceed the required reps with bodyweight then add weight by holding a plate or dumbbell to your chest.
Overhand Wide Grip Pullups:
You want that wide V-shape we were talkin’ about? Here it is.
When executed properly, wide grip pull-ups hit the lats super efficiently.
When you do these, make sure to lower to a FULL stretch. Then, before pulling up with your arms, initiate the movement by first pulling your lats down and back – you should raise a half inch or so – keep the tension on the lats and pull up with a slight arch back and chest up and out.
*Make sure to read my added tips further down.
Bent-Over Barbell Rows:
The bent over barbell row is again a staple of bodybuilding history.
This exercise was, and still is, used by all the bodybuilding greats and should definitely be used by you.
The bent over barbell row will build your overall pulling strength and develop a thick, powerful back.
Seated Cable Rows:
The seated cable row is another multi joint exercise making it a compound move.
This is a great exercise for targeting the middle back and lats. Inadvertently we are also hitting the arms and core.
Read further down for tips on how to perform the seated cable row.
Aww, c’mon…you knew I wouldn’t leave this article without putting these in
Everybody’s favourite – well, they should be.
They’re hard and they’re mean.
However, if you want to build an overall impressive back along with massive strength gains, then you’re gonna want to Dead-lift.
Putting It Together -
There you have it.
In my opinion these are the Best Back Workout Exercises to build a Big, Strong Impressive Back.
Okay, now let’s put it all together into a –
Huge Back Workout
|Hyper-Extension||2 x 12 – 8||90 secs|
|Overhand Wide Grip Pullup||2 x 12 – 8||2 mins|
|Bent Over Barbell Row||2 x 8 – 6||3 mins|
|Seated Cable Row||2 x 8 – 6||3 mins|
|Deadlift||3 x 12 – 8||3 mins|
*Please take the time to do a couple progressively heavier warm-up sets, especially for Bent Over Barbell Rows and Dead-lifts.
Looks simple enough huh?
Here’s the thing – you’ve got to work it.
Don’t go easy on yourself – after all, you are on a mission.
When you walk in the gym, walk in with purpose.
You’ve heard the phrase ‘Go Heavy or Go Home!’ – well…You Ain’t Goin’ Home.
That leaves one thing…you are Going Heavy – Yeah Baby!
Apart from your Hyper-Extension warm-up, you are to Push Every Set To Your Max. Aim for incremental weight increases on every exercise each week.
You want Growth – then Earn It!
Best Back Workout Exercises – Tips:
Overhand Wide Grip Pull-ups –
- Use a thumb over grip – so your fingers are basically a hook over the bar and your thumb is really neutral, not wrapped around.
- When lowering go to complete stretch.
- Initiate the pull-up by engaging the lats – pull down and back.
- Keep lats engaged and pull through your elbows.
- Hold top position briefly then lower under control to full stretch.
- Repeat, keeping tension on the lats.
Bent-Over Barbell Row –
- Use the Olympic Bar (squat bar).
- Stand with feet just wider than shoulder width.
- Pivot at hips, keeping back straight until upper body is almost parallel to the floor.
- Grip bar slightly wider than shoulder width.
- Engage the upper back muscles/upper lats for initial lift then pull through elbows bringing the bar up to stomach.
- Briefly squeeze shoulder blades together then lower the weight under control.
Seated Cable Row –
- Position yourself so you need to lean forward to initially grasp handles.
- Use a vertical hand grip.
- Bring in the handle to where you’re seated upright
- Tighten abs then allow the handle to go forward creating a full stretch in the lats whilst remaining upright.
- Engage the lats by pulling back with arms straight, then pulling through the elbows draw the handle to your sternum.
- Hold briefly as you contract (squeeze back together in the middle), then release under control to stretch position.
- Repeat for reps.
- Stand with feet a little wider than shoulder width apart then bend down and grip the bar with a fairly wide grip – one hand over and one hand under seems to offer superior grip.
- Get in a position similar to a low squat position.
- Inhale deeply just prior the lift, and hold – this gives a strong stabilising effect to the core as well as filling your blood with oxygen.
- Keep the bar always close, almost touching your legs as you pull the bar up.
- Keep your back straight and drive through your feet like you are actually pushing the floor down and away.
- As the bar comes over your knees, keep your back straight as you contract your glutes (butt) and thrust your hips forward bringing your body to standing erect.
- Release your breath at the top of the movement, pulling shoulders back and pushing the chest up and out.
- Hold briefly then lower under contracted control following same line of movement as coming up.
- Pause very briefly at the bottom adjusting form then repeat.
You may wonder why I haven’t included a shrugging exercise for developing the Trapezius muscles – Since the superior muscles of the Trapezius are situated across the Scapulae and are primarily engaged when contracting the scapular, I prefer to put these in on a shoulder workout.
This is, of course entirely optional – if you would prefer training your Traps on Back day, that’s fine.
For the objective of packing on mass, I would suggest Heavy Barbell Shrugs or strict Heavy Dumbbell shrugs.
How Would You Like To Explode Your Muscle Growth To A Whole New Level?
Now comes MI40X to Take You Above And Beyond.
Click The Image Below To Watch A Video Presentation By BPak Including Ben Blasting His Biceps In The Gym Demonstrating The MI40X Principle.
That’s it folks.
Get in there and get at it –
Put the Get Huge Back Building Routine to the test and grow the big wide wings you’ve been after.
I’d love to hear how you’re getting on, so come back and post a comment whether after your first or tenth workout
Also, if you’d like to share your own tips or favourite Back Building exercise then feel free to post here.
You may also be interested in reading: How to Gain Muscle Strength and Size; 3 Focus Lifts
Train Hard, Train Well, Train Safe.
Founder of Bodybuilding for Mass
Thank you for reading:
Best Back Workout Exercises
*If you have found this article of value then Please Hit a Share Button